What Is Up with Car Insurance Rates in Calgary?
On an average, car insurance rates in Alberta are around $1,088 per year. However, this figure can vary as per different cities in the Province. Car Insurance Calgary can cost around $1,117 per year for someone with a clean driving record.
Driving in Calgary isn’t always easy. There is heavy rush hour traffic and impulsive weather changes too. There’s also a lot of road construction going on, including the Calgary Ring Road that will help drivers commute from one end of the town to the other. Whether you’re just a weekend warrior, a daily driver, or an occasional driver, you will need adequate coverage on your car insurance policy.
Important Statistics and Facts
• As per data, 67% men and 33% women are opting for car insurance in Calgary.
• The most used car brands in Calgary include Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford and Chevrolet
• Nearly 11.4% drivers have tickets and 10.2% have got into an accident
• The average age of insurance users in Calgary is 28.5 years
• Hitchhiking is prohibited by law in Calgary’s city limits
• For intersection safety, 51% have speed-on-green, red-light or both cameras.
• The Deerfoot Trail is the busiest road in the entire province of Alberta. It witnesses nearly 160,000 vehicles every day.
• Put your cell phone down in your car, it’s illegal to use your phones when operating a motor vehicle in Calgary
What Can You Do to Get Better Insurance Rates?
Increase Your Deductibles – You can save nearly 5% to 10% on your premiums when you increase your deductibles from $500 to $1000. However, remember that you’ll have to spend more from your pocket in case of a claim.
Bundle Your Policies – When you buy home insurance from the same company you buy your car insurance Calgary, you can save between 5 to 15%.
Insure all Cars Under the Same Policy – If you have more than one car, you can save 10 to 20% by insuring all of them under the same policy.
Buy Snow Tires – If you’re driving in Calgary during winter, remember that the city gets heavy snowfall in the fall. If you head towards the mountains, you can expect more than 250 inches per year of annual snowfall. By installing snow tires, you can also get a discount on your premium rates.
Review Policies Annually – It is best to review your optional coverage every year. This way, if you don’t need any additional coverage, you can save some extra money. Also, if you change your job or move to a new neighbourhood, it is recommended to relook at your policy.
Go Back to School – Young drivers should consider taking a driver’s training. You will save enough on your premiums to cover the cost of training and you’ll be a much better driver too.
Ask About Discounts – There are many unique discounts offered by insurance companies to car owners. Ask your provider about the kinds of discounts you can avail.
By choosing the right car insurance Calgary, you’ll be protected from any unforeseen circumstances and by having knowledge about lower premium rates, you can save a lot of dollars too!