The Mlok Handguard
Before the Mlok Handguard was produced, there were the KeyMod and MOE systems. The KeyMod system is an AR accessory rail that can be attached to a rifle in order to more easily attach accessories directly to the handguard. The KeyMod system is a lightweight, open-source design that was created in 2012 and allows other companies to make this rail attachment without paying any royalties. The MOE, on the other hand, is a handguard system that allows for attachments to be made on the for-end of the handguard, limiting its capabilities. As a result of not being able to fully customize the handguard, Magpul created a handguard system that better fit the needs of shooter, thus resulting in the Mlok.
The Mlok, Modular Lock system, is similar to both the KeyMod and the MOE, but with a few differences. Made in 2014, the Mlok was created to make a handguard system that was compatible with polymer attachments and would allow for more customized attachments to be made. Unlike the KeyMod, but similar to the MOE, the Mlok features elongated, rectangular slots and features:
1. Direct mount capability – No need to access rear of the system for accessory attachment. They can be mounted front the front face of the slot.
2. Cammed T-Nut – Easily attach and remove accessories by simply twisting the T-Nut to tighten and loosen.
3. Optimized for metal and polymer manufacturing – The Mlok features a mold design that can easily be attached to.
4. Recoil/impact mitigation lugs – Prevents movement of the Mlok under recoil or rough handling.
5. Intermediate spacing options – Accessories can be mounted within, between, or across slots.
6. Multi-directional mounting – Accessories can be mounted at front or rear of handguard without interrupting function.
7. Backwards MOE compatibility – MOE accessories can be mounted to the Mlok with an adapter plate, giving users a much wider variety of accessory options.
If you’re looking for an Mlok handguard, look for 22mods4all. At 22mods4all, we are a family-owned and operated AR-15 firearm and ammunition parts supplier. We know how frustrating it can be find quality firearm parts and accessories that meet your needs and are available at low costs. That is why it is our mission to provide our customers with the highest quality firearms and accessories at the lowest prices! For your Mlok handguard needs, we offer a small variety of options to choose from ranging in price from $59.00 to $540.00. One of our lower cost options is the 10” MLOK Free-Float handguard AR-15 Aluminum. This choice is a lightweight Scorpion Armaments Mlok and features a simple installation with a slim 1.5” outside diameter with three sides of Mlok slots. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty and is 100% made in Daytona Beach, USA.
Out more expensive option is the Nickel Boron Durability Enhanced AR15 Upper Receiver Kit M-LOK. Also a lightweight Scorpion Armaments product, this product features a Nickel boron coating, which requires no lubrication and is heat and corrosion resistant, simple installation, 1.5 inch outside diameter and three Mlok slots. Included in the kit is a: Scorpion Armaments Nickel Boron AR15 Stripped Upper Receiver, Scorpion Armaments Nickel Boron M-LOK free-float lightweight aluminum handguard, shrouded firing pin, tool steel extractor, and more. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty and is made in the U.S.A.
If you’re in need of an Mlok handguard, or any other AR-15 products and accessories, head on over to 22mods4all.com. We know everything there is to know about the world of AR-15’s and our customer service team is eager to help you find everything you need for a more enjoyable shooting experience.
- Uppers and Lowers: What’s the Deal With the AR Receiver? - March 7, 2021
- Your One-Stop-Shop for High Quality AR 15 Parts - October 10, 2018
- Understanding the Ar15 Upper - September 12, 2018