5 Secrets to Boost your Brain & Memory
In my school days, I had a memory which could be the cause of envy to many others, but with the passing time, I do see that I am having a difficulty in recollecting the name of movies (a few of my favorites, to be included in them), all it’s comes to is like: “Ah! It’s an academy award winner… Directed by Akira Kurosawa, you see… of course, it’s a Samurai movie”. Then with the suggestions pouring in, I get increasingly snappy as they do not match the movie I want to refer, but there as it goes, I simply cannot REMEMBER!
Does Memory have to do anything with gradual aging?
It’s completely understandable that a person has not even reached the age of seniority, a person might be around mud forties and yet he is loosing on the capacity to remember, could he take any precaution to slow down the process of memory erosion and most importantly, what part of the brain controls memory?
For this actually, we need to understand the concept of memory erosion. There is no escaping the fact that the memory gradually erodes with growing age. The “Hippocampus” or the area of the brain which stores the grey cells, and is responsible for building up of memory loses 5 percent of its nerve cells with each passing decade.
Thankfully enough, research has shown that even the adult brain can and are still able to form new memory building neural networks, in a process known as neuroplasticity. The most reassuring part of the research is that: with little effort, anyone can boost their power of recollection.
Here’s some awesome techniques to boost your brain and your memory:
• Play Brain Games: Quit watching TV and indulge in the brain games. Puzzle games like Sudoku and Crossword might work wonders in strengthening memory.
• Eat Right Food: Grow your habit of eating super foods. By super foods, I mean, food that are rich in antioxidant properties. The colourful fruit and vegetables which protect your brain from harmful free radicals.
• Active Listening: Do not multitask while you are planning something, especially an appointment with someone. Try writing it down and repeat it aloud while writing. This trick actually enhances concentration.
• Learn a new Skill: A person who learns a new language has 50% more chances of remembering names. This is how learning something new enhances brain cells.
• Hit the Gym: A fit body is always an aide to a healthy mind. And nothing like exercise helps to keep the body fit. If you can’t hit the gym at least try 20 minutes of brisk walking everyday.